Start your journey to financial freedom with quantumai – trade with confidence.

How to become a Licensed Plumber in NSW, Australia

Sydney sunset

Plumbing is a Licensed trade in Australia. To work as a Plumber in Australia, there are some things you need to obtain to become a fully Licensed Plumber in Australia.

1. Get your Plumber Offshore Technical Skills Record

If you are a Plumber migrating to Australia, you need to obtain your Plumber skills assessment and Offshore Technical Skills Record (OTSR). The Plumber skills assessment is required for your visa application and your OTSR is required to apply for a provisional license to work in Australia as a Plumber. Having a provisional licence means you can only work under supervision.

The Down Under Centre assists with Plumber skills assessments and you can call us on 0203 376 1555 to discuss the process of the skills assessment for moving to Australia.

2. Provisional licence to work in NSW Australia as a Plumber

Once you’ve made the move to NSW, you need get your provisional licence to work as a Plumber in NSW under supervision, as mentioned above.

Each State and Territory in Australia has different requirements for Plumbers in relation to the becoming a licensed Plumber in Australia.

The regulator for New South Wales is NSW Office of Fair Trading (NSWOFT).

Contact NSW Office of Fair Trading to apply for your Plumber provisional licence.

Once you have your provisional licence, you need to find an employer to work for as a Plumber for a minimum of 12 months so that you can start on the Plumber GAP Training.

3. Plumber GAP Training for NSW Australia

The next step to become a licensed Plumber in Australia is undertaking the Minimum Australian Context GAP Training course as a Plumber and you need to find an assessing body to deliver this course. The Down Under Centre works with Australian Trade Training College, who deliver the Minimum Australian Context GAP Training for licensed trades.

This course consists of two parts:

Plumber GAP Training Theory Component

This is completed electronically where you need to cover the Plumber units of competency by answering a series of questions.

Plumber GAP Training Practical Skills Demonstration

Each unit also requires practical evidence which can be completed on the job and you can provide photos/videos to prove you undertake the set tasks. These must be signed off by your employer/supervisor.

The GAP Training is usually over the course of 12 months. The cost of the Plumber GAP Training course ranges depending on the streams your enrol into and paid in three instalments directly to Australian Trade Training College (ATTC).

  • Roofing and Drainage streams only $4500
  • Drainage and Gas streams only $5500
  • Roofing, Drainage and Gas streams $6000
  • Gas stream only $2500
  • Roofing stream only $2000
  • Drainage stream only $2000

On completion of the GAP Training, you will be awarded the Plumber Certificate III CPC32413.

4. Apply for your NSW Plumber Licence

Contact NSWOFT to apply for your NSW Plumber Licence by presenting your OTSR and certificate III in Plumbing.

Contact the Down Under Centre London office to speak to one of our experts about the GAP Training process on 0203 376 1555.