What are Subclass 482 Employer Sponsored Visas?

Subclass 482 visas

482 Employer Sponsored Visas

Subclass 482 visas are temporary work visas which, depending on your occupation, can be granted for up to an initial 4-year period of entry. You must remain full-time employed with your nominated employer only at all times. You can change employers, but the new employer will need to transfer your visa over to them at a cost to the new business.

We work with employers in across Australia, some offering Employer sponsorship to suitable candidates. See these jobs on the DUC Employment & Relocation Hub.

How quick they can be?

Pre Covid, Subclass 482 wait times have always fluctuated depending on the department’s workload. The average time was around 2 months so they can be very quick. During Covid we have generally only had movement of Subclass 482 visas where the occupation featured on the Priority Migration Skilled Occupation List (PMSOL). We are hoping that when the borders reopen to all occupations and temporary work holders they will start to move quickly again as they are related to jobs and business that need workers urgently.

How they lead to Permanent Residency?

If your occupation is on the Medium and Long-Term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL), after 3 years working with the one employer, your employer can nominate you for the Subclass 186 3-year Temporary Transition Stream which is a permanent visa. If you have a positive skills assessment and 3 years’ experience, you could approach an employer earlier and ask that they nominate you for the Subclass 186 Direct Entry route which is also permanent.

(Licenced trades will need to obtain the state requirement for licencing to be eligible for the 186 pathways)

Is this for me?

Everyone’s situation is different and unique to them. Employer sponsored visas are very different to points-based visas and it all depends on what your current situation and priorities are. You may look to continue points-based options onshore on your Subclass 482, but this would need to be discussed on a case-by-case basis.

If you have school children, be sure to look into schooling costs for Subclass 482 visa holders in the area you are looking to migrate as it varies from state to state. Check out this free source on finding schools in Australia.

If you have already lodged a visa for another subclass, then these funds will not be refunded by Immigration if you decide to go down the Subclass 482 route. The Subclass 482 comes with its own associated costs, and it will usually be expected that the migrant covers their share.

Advantages and Disadvantages of Employer Sponsorship

Advantages of Employer Sponsorship:

  • Critical skilled list workers are being granted visas and exemptions extremely fast.
  • Not related to waiting for state nomination - not points based, only competent English required.
  • For non regional based employers, can be non restrictive in terms of working location, e.g. Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne.
  • You change employers if you find another opportunity and they are happy to renominate you - there will be a process involved.
  • Pathways to Permanent Residency through the subclass 186 visa streams, if your occupation is on the MLTSSL on the subclass 482 visa.
  • Pathways to Permanent Residency for all occupations sponsored on a Regional subclass 494 visa.
  • Experience can substitute qualifications for the 482 as no skills assessment is required for this subclass (required for 494).

Disadvantages of Employer Sponsorship:

  • Choose state wisely - If you are already on a skilled points-based pathway, coming onshore on a 482 visa could impact that – i.e.many states will only invite you if you live in that state, meaning you may be relying on the state you reside in only for options.
  • If you continue onshore with points-based pathways; for licensed trades you may not be able to claim points for your onshore experience until you are licensed in Australia (Plumbers, Electricians, Air Con & Refrigeration Mechanics).
  • Separate from your current points-based visa pathway regarding costs (however, if you continue your points-based process onshore, the fees you have paid the DUC towards this process will be honored).
  • If subclass 482 - short term skilled list occupations will not lead to Permanent Residency.
  • You will be expected to work for your sponsor only - less freedom - E.g., self employed work not permitted.
  • Do your research regarding schooling fees for temporary visa holders as these can vary from state to state.

Brid Sutherland
Australian Registered Migration Agent
MARA Number – 1683343