GAP Training for Australia

If you have successfully completed a skills assessment conducted by a Trades Recognition Australia (TRA) approved Registered Training Organisation for one of the following licensed occupations, you will be issued an Offshore Technical Skills Record (OTSR):

  • Electrician (General)
  • Plumber (General)
  • Air-Conditioning & Refrigeration Mechanic

You can only commence the Minimum Australian Context GAP training for any of the licensed trades, until you are living in Australia and have supervised employment.

Contact Paul Vivian from the Down Under Centre to speak about the GAP Training process at

The OTSR holder must still complete Australian context gap training and a period of supervised employment in the specific trade in order to be awarded the Australian VET qualification for that occupation.

Overseas trained tradespeople who hold an OTSR are eligible to apply for a provisional licence. A provisional licence allows the holder to perform work in the licensed occupation under supervision while completing the Australian context gap training. A provisional licence can be obtained on application from Australian state and territory licensing regulators.

Each State and Territory has different requirements in relation to Australian context gap training for the licensed occupations.

GAP Training Process for each State/Territory in Australia