Employer sponsored visas Australia

Employer Sponsored Visas for Australia

To be eligible for Employer Sponsored Visas in Australia, you need to have: an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List; minimum of 2 years recent, relevant work experience; but not necessarily qualifications (varies with each occupation).

These are the visa subclasses:

  • Temporary Skilled Shortage (TSS) Subclass 482
  • Employer Nominated Scheme (ENS) Subclass 186
  • Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (Provisional) Subclass 494
  • Designated Area Migration Agreement (DAMA)

Call the Down Under Centre to arrange a visa consultation on 0203 376 1555 or email us directly at info@downundercentre.com.

Take a look at the jobs we have on the DUC Employment & Relocation Hub. We have employers in Australia, posting real jobs in Australia!

Advantages and Disadvantages of Employer Sponsorship

Advantages of Employer Sponsorship:

  • Not related to waiting for state nomination - not points based, for many passport holders English test may not be required.
  • For non-regional based employers, can be non-restrictive in terms of working location, e.g. Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne.
  • You change employers if you find another opportunity and they are happy to renominate you - there will be a process involved.
  • Pathways to Permanent Residency through the subclass 186 visa streams, if your occupation is on the MLTSSL on the subclass 482 visa.
  • Pathways to Permanent Residency for all occupations sponsored on a Regional subclass 494 visa.
  • Experience can substitute qualifications for the 482 for many occupations.
  • For many occupations and passports, no skills assessment is required.


Disadvantages of Employer Sponsorship:

  • Choose state wisely - If you are already on a skilled points-based pathway, coming onshore on a 482 visa could impact that – i.e. Many states will only invite you if you live in that state, meaning you may be relying on the state you reside in only for options.
  • If you continue onshore with points-based pathways; for licensed trades you may not be able to claim points for your onshore experience until you are licensed in Australia (Plumbers, Electricians, Air Con & Refrigeration Mechanics).
  • Separate from your current points-based visa pathway regarding costs (however, if you continue your points-based process onshore, the fees you have paid the DUC towards this process will be honoured).
  • If subclass 482 - short term skilled list occupations will generally not lead to Permanent Residency.
  • You will be expected to work for your sponsor only - less freedom - E.g., self-employed work not permitted.
  • Do your research regarding schooling fees for temporary visa holders as these can vary from state to state.

Subclass 482 Information

See our blog on What are Subclass 482 Employer Sponsored Visas?

  • Employer must be set up as an approved sponsor, valid for 5 years;
  • Skilled Training levy must be paid for each year of visa paid upfront by company determined by their turnover;
  • Temporary visa, up to 4 years depending on which list (STSOL / MLTSSL);
  • Pathways to Permanent Residency while on the visa if on MLTSSL.

Please note: Depending on your country of passport and occupation, you may need to complete the required skills assessment to apply for an employer sponsored visa.

It’s a 3-part process for a TSS Visa Australia:

  • Employer must get permission to be a Sponsor;
  • Employer then has to get permission to specifically sponsor you – part of this is proving they can’t find anyone local to do the job; and
  • You/your family’s application.

Subclass 186 Information

Under the Employer Sponsored Permanent Residence pathways, the two main streams for the ENS Visa Australia are Subclass 186 Direct Entry and the 186 Temporary Transition Stream.

Both of which involve two stages; nomination by company and application by you. The company must nominate the position and pay a one-off training levy fee per nomination determined by their turnover.

Subclass 186 Direct Entry Information

  • Occupation must be on the MLTSSL.
  • Skills assessment required for nominee plus 3 years’ experience.
  • Under 45 years old, unless an exemption applies.

Subclass 186 Temporary Transition Stream Information

  • Occupation must be on the MLTSSL.
  • Generally, must have worked with same employer for 3 years on a 482 visa to be nominated.
  • Two stage process, Nomination by company and application.
  • No skills assessment required.

Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (Provisional) Subclass 494

  • Temporary Visa which leads to permanent residency.
  • Wider range of occupations available.
  • Skills assessment and 3 years’ experience required to be nominated.
  • Under 45 years old, unless an exemption applies.

It can also be up to a three-stage process:

  • Employer must get permission to be a Sponsor;
  • Employer then has to get permission to specifically sponsor you – part of this is proving they can’t find anyone local to do the job; and
  • You/your family’s application

Designated Area Migration Agreement (DAMA) Visa

Employer nominated stream which can allow for individual states, territories, or regions to respond to their own specific labour market needs through an agreement-based framework.

Each individual state, territories, or regions will have their own occupations and features.

If you have secured a role with an employer through the DAMA stream, then please do get in touch as we can advise around the visa application side.


…which Employer Sponsored visa you apply for will depend upon:

  • The employer;
  • If your occupation is on the STSOL, MLTSSL or ROL;
  • If you have the relevant qualifications and experience to achieve a positive skills assessment;
  • Your age.

What we do & What it costs

We have a Migration Agent who will work with your Employer for the Employer Sponsored Visa if required.

For the processing of you/your family’s 482/494/186 Application £1,000 – £1,200 + VAT.

• Detailed explanation of information and documentation required for the Employer Sponsored Visa application.

• Explanation of, and assistance with, the health and character aspects of your application.

• Creation and submission of your Employer Sponsored Visa application for Australia. Government fees for Employer Sponsored Visas are due at time of visa submission.

• Liaising with the Australian Government on your behalf.

• Continuous support throughout the processing stage.

• Explanations of your Visa Grant Notice, any conditions, and what happens afterwards.

• Relocation assistance; specific advice on housing, schooling, where you’re moving to and more.

If you have an employer or you are an employer who needs assistance with setting up the business as an approved sponsor/the nomination of a subclass 482/494 position OR for subclass 186 pricing information, please get in touch for a personalised quote depending on the stages you require assistance with and GBP/AUD depending.

Call the Down Under Centre to arrange a visa consultation on 0203 376 1555 or email us directly at info@downundercentre.com

DUC Employment Hub

The DUC Employment Hub is a tool that connects migrants to employers in Australia as well as providing you with a relocation hub to make your journey to Australia smoother. We have employers offering Employer Sponsored visas.

Employer Sponsored Visas FAQs

Blogs for emigrating to Australia